Getting Better While Having Fun
Whether it goes by the term “recreation therapy” or “therapeutic recreation,” the practice of teaming mind- and body-enhancing activities with conventional drug- and alcohol-addiction treatment has proven very effective in helping people conquer substance abuse.
A recent article posted on drug-rehabilition.org noted how therapeutic recreation substitutes healthy, productive, drug-free activities for previously practiced destructive endeavors and, in turn, trains an addict how to make healthy, productive, drug-free choices with his or her time.
When someone battling addiction engages in both team-based and individual pursuits led by trained and experienced therapists, therapeutic recreation can lead to enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem, to better communication abilities and goal-setting, and to a range of additional essential skills that will help the person attain and maintain sobriety.
The staff at Promises Austin has taken “Therapeutic Recreation” to a whole new level, crafting programs designed to complement conventional treatment regimens which enhance the recovery experience. Promises Austin’s holistic approach mixes offsite recreational activities with residential substance abuse treatment to help guests move more quickly toward recovery. Here are some highlight programs:
• Cypress Valley Canopy Tours – Promises Austin guests hook to zip lines and view nature, high in the cypress tree canopy. A tour takes roughly one and a half to two hours. Teambuilding is the goal, offering a unique way to create deeper bonds within the group because few people, if any, will have experienced the thrill of a zip line tour before.
• Boating on Lake Travis – The nearby lake offers several watery options, including sailboats, wave runners, pontoon boats, fishing boats, ski boats, deck boats, stern-driven runabouts, party boats, and houseboats.
• Horseback riding – Paths are padded with oak chips and are beautifully shaded, making it an enjoyable and quiet walk for the novice or a smooth, yet exciting, lope for the advanced rider.
• Golf – Just a short drive from Promises Austin is the Pedernales Golf Club, owned by Willie Nelson. The beautiful nine-hole course spans the hill tops near the Pedernales River in western Travis County. The course is more than just a beautiful golf layout; it’s a relaxing and refreshing break interlude to classroom or individual therapy
• Longhorn Cavern – This Texas Hill Country wonder was created over thousands of years by the dissolving and cutting action of water on the limestone bedrock of the area. Fossil remains show that many Ice Age animals once occupied the cave. In more recent history, the cavern was used as a Confederate stronghold where gunpowder was manufactured in secret during the Civil War.
• Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg – Promises Austin guests can enjoy backpacking, hiking, rock climbing, picnicking, geological study, and bird watching at the Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.
To find out more about the unique Promises Austin experience, please visit the company website, www.spiritlodge.com, or call us at 888.293.2202 to discuss how we might help you or a loved one overcome alcohol dependence or drug addiction at our state-of-the-art rehab center.
Speak Confidentially with a Promises Recovery Advisor